JONATHAN C. REITER LAW FIRM, PLLC.
350 5th Ave Suite 6400, New York, NY 10118
However more serious hit and run accidents include major crashes or perhaps hitting pedestrians or bicyclists, leading to wrongful death.
There are five crucial actions you ought to take if you are ever involved in a mishap where the other motorist gets away the scene:
• Even if you are able, do not follow the other chauffeur. Stay at the scene of the accident and call the authorities. Chasing a motorist could cause more injury to yourself- -- it might also disqualify you from making a claim under your very own insurance coverage in the event you need to use the underinsured/uninsured chauffeur area of your policy.
• Attempt to keep in mind as many details about the hit and run driver's vehicle as you can. Make, model, color can all be valuable in figuring out the culprit of the accident, especially if the motorist was intoxicated. Drunk motorists are typically repeat offenders and their automobiles might be on law enforcement watch lists.
• Rely on the aid of witnesses. You may be in shock too much to understand what took place, but great witnesses can assist determine the situation and the at-fault driver. If other drivers stop to check on you, ask them to remain at the scene of the accident up until the cops arrive and can tape their account of the accident and their individual info.
• Purchase under/uninsured driver protection from your insurance. Unfortunately, numerous at-fault motorists in hit and run mishaps may never ever be recognized, specifically if there were no other witnesses. Underinsured vehicle driver coverage by yourself insurance coverage can still cover your injuries if the at-fault motorist is not identified. This protection is a very little cost for the defense it offers you and ought to always be a part of your insurance coverage.
• Talk with your lawyer. A knowledgeable automobile mishap attorney can assist you identify your finest course of action- if it is pursuing the at-fault motorist or aiming to sue with your own insurance coverage.
Three Tips for Choosing a Personal Injury Lawyer
Personal injury cases are among the most common civil cases and a lot of people will find themselves involved in such a case at least once in their life. Some of the different types of personal injury cases are those involving injuries that arise from vehicular accidents, medical malpractice, intentional acts, construction accidents, dental malpractice, wrongful death, product liability, and premises liability, among others. Three Tips for Choosing a Personal Injury Lawyer
Hit and run accidents can be ravaging for families, especially in wrongful death scenarios. Not only have you lost a loved one, but you are unsure of who is accountable. In circumstances of death, a criminal examination ought to be carried out. If there suffices info about the other automobile, the authorities may have the ability to issue search warrants in order to search a lorry for damage or even DNA that would recognize the at-fault motorist.
In cases such as these, you should immediately retain a lawyer who is educated in hit and run accidents, wrongful death, and criminal law.